Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Multi-Colored Bracelet

I don’t know why, but today it came to my mind a conversation I had with Aldo L. a few days ago, while having a terribly hard "churrasco" for dinner at a local restaurant. I happened to be wearing a rainbow-type multi-colored bracelet on my left wrist that I bought to a girl on the street a while ago, and decided to finally use it. Almost immediately, he noticed the bracelet and pointed out that this could be misleading to others, for it is well known that the gay community has adopted the rainbow colors as a way to identified themselves. We laughed and joked a bit about the thought and the possible implications of it and short after, almost instantly, we changed topics to something serious. After a while, I just took it off, because aside from the fact it was too tight and it was already cutting the air in there, the mere thought of been wrongly labeled made me somewhat uncomfortable.

We switched the conversation to something else and struggled with the medium well "churrasco" which was real hard, impossible and not that good anyways.


Today after meditating about the incident, it occurred to me that while carrying a Bible below the arm does not necessarily make me a Christian, the same way wearing a multi-colored bracelet does not makes me a gay, but it may bring an opportunity to draw some people to me that would otherwise wont, if they see me with a Bible below the arm. Then, there is the question of, if it is wise to expose oneself to such a party of people and in the process be wrongly labeled as a guy and even damage ones reputation. After all, we all have goals, jobs, family and our reputation have become part of our identity and tool of trade ...no one in their right mind will sacrifice it knowingly and willingly.
But......then again, there is a precedent, and as a disciple I am, I am bound to fill in his steps. Jesus was labeled a friend of sinners, prostitutes and the real low people in the society hierarchy. Interesting enough, Matthew decided to record this into his account of the Gospel for a reason.


9 As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at his tax collector's booth. "Follow me and be my disciple," Jesus said to him. So Matthew got up and followed him.


10 Later, Matthew invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other
disreputable sinners. 11 But when the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with such scum?"


12 When Jesus heard this, he said, "
Healthy people don't need a doctor-sick people do." 13 Then he added, "Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: 'I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.' For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners."

After this episode on a common day, no big revelation, no big show, no miracle, just a mere incident that bring me back to the line where I should be walking, a line drawn by Him who I have decided to follow, not because of my own righteousness, but because His love for me is so much that I cannot ignore it and can´t help it but to embrace it with all my strength.

No comments: